Thursday, May 4, 2006

Announcing: Movie Trivia Contest

As some of you know, I’m a movie trivia buff. One of my favorite films is Columbia’s “Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb” written by Terry Southern and Peter George with directing by Stanley Kubrick. Remember the first scene, the midair refueling of a B-52 set against the musical background of “Try a Little Tenderness”? The cast included George C. Scott as the humorless general, Sterling Hayden as the wacky general, Jack G. Ripper who blockades himself in his office; Peter Sellers in as the president and also as Dr. Strangelove whose crippled arm hikes up uncontrollably in a Nazi salute which he called “alien hand syndrome. Remember Scott answering the President by saying, “Mr. President, I’m not saying we wouldn’t get our hair mussed but I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops, uh, depending on the breaks”?

Now remember the wild character Major T. J. “King” Kong who rides the bomb down from the bomb-bay waving his Stetson hat? Without looking up the credits—you’re on your honor, now—who was he? He also appeared in The Flim Flam Man (1967) and Blazing Saddles (1974).

He was? Who?

7 comments:

  1. If memory serves me, Slim Pickens portrayed Major Kong.

    Another oddly named character in that film was Major Bat Guano, portrayed by Keenan Wynn, another fine character actor of that era.

    That was good choice, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slim Pickens, of course.

    This is a classic film that hilariously skewered both left and right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slim Pickens. I won't ask for harder questions, because I can barely believe I got that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slim Pickins.

    You didn't give me credit for answering the Priceton/Harvard one yesterday !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote "Slim Pickins."

    I meant Slim Pickens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom, I know you've gotten dozens of responses by now ID'ing the actors as Slim Pickens. I believe Peter Sellars was supposed to play that role too -- but he had a heart attack and it was recast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget the great Keenan Wynn as "Sgt. Bat Guano" !

    Sterling Hayden, was second only to Peter Sellers in my book, although G.C. Scott and Slim were terrific, as well.

    ReplyDelete